Quote of the Day

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Make happiness your mission

Life tends to introduce many twists and turns that leave you wondering what is next. Its when these unexplained changes occur that you must decide how you will approach the situation. There is one good rule to follow when dealing with uncertainty. If something is making you unhappy, fix it. Sometimes this notion is a little easier said than done. However, if you stick with this idea to navigate your life,  you will always be striving for what is most important to you. 

Recently I was faced with the harsh reality that life is too short to be anything but happy. You never know when life will be taken from you. It can be when you are old and gray or before your 30th birthday. Unfortunately for my friend, his was taken far too early. Caleb was always full of life and striving to be happy in everything he did. He was a great friend, brother and, more recently, father. Its to him I dedicate this post.

With his unexpected passing, many realize that a long life is not certain for anyone. If there is something that is making you unhappy, its time to change it. For me, I have realized that I have strayed away from my mission of happiness and satisfaction. 

What makes you happy can change when you least expect it. Take me for example. Lately I thought my life was headed in the right direction. I felt like I had found my calling and I wanted to work hard to make that happen. I realized, though, that sometimes mixing your passion with your career can be a dead end. I had always wanted to enjoy my career... but when it comes to resenting one of my favorite hobbies, its not worth it.

Sometimes, I have realized, it is better to leave things where they are. If you have a hobby, keep it that way. Do not corrupt it with money. I made the mistake of putting my eggs all in one basket and now I find myself at a crossroads. 

I work really hard in whatever I do, too hard sometimes. When I work too hard, I wear my body and mind out... and my immune system rebels. Lately, I have not listened to my body. I need to do more of that. Where I am not is not where I want to be. Where I am heading is not where I want to go. I thought it was, but things have changed. 

With my goals shifting and my mind changing, I find it difficult to set into motion a new plan. I have made a great friend in the process of building my current profession. The last thing I want to do is disappoint anyone, namely her. She was great for giving me a chance to test my passion and curiosity for photography. It just so happens it is not for everyone, in a professional manner.

 I am getting to the point where I am beginning to lose that passion. That is the LAST thing I want to happen. If I get that far, I may not want to pick up a camera to shoot for fun ever again. Now here lies the task of figuring out where to go from here. 

My best bet is probably to make photography a part time passion rather than a full time career. If this is the way I go... the job search comes back to haunt me again. The economy may be rebounding a little, but its still shaky and there is not much out there still. What will happen? Who knows... but I do know, I hope it happens soon. I really do not want to lose that passion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment