First of all there is Samantha, the woman who puts sex into "Sex and the City". She is a fiercely independent professional who does not care what people think of her. She is both brave and daring, experimenting and experiencing more than most could fathom. She is not afraid of the stereotypical titles that surround a woman who will not turn down a good time with a man. She knows what she wants and she goes out and gets it.
Samantha's polar opposite, Charlotte, values monogamy and love. She is a hopeless romantic who believes in soul mates and love at first sight. Although sometimes a little naive, Charlotte believes the best in everyone. She believes happiness lies with finding your one true love and starting a family with them.
Then there is Miranda, the jaded pessimistic lawyer who will never be labeled naive, to say the least. She believes in love but hates all the bells and whistles that comes with it. Simply, she is a realist that does not get caught up in what should be. She does things as she wants. Basically, she wants to find love in the most simple form without all the fuss.
Finally, there is Carrie Bradshaw - the romantic writer who puts her heart and sould into everything she does. Her everyday dating fiascos fuel her passion to write. She has fallen in love a few times but there will always be that one - Mr. Big. Throughout the years, between break ups and make ups, she has always known. Her friends though she was foolish for going back and forth with Mr. Big. No matter who she was with - knight in shining armor, hottie McHottie, or fellow author - no one would ever compare. She had once doubted being "the marrying kind" yet always saw it as a possibility with Mr. Big.
Reflection time: which Sex and the City girl are you? Are you a Samantha, Charlotte, Miranda or Carrie? Personally, I see myself as Carrie. Not only because I love to write, but because I am a romantic who has realized the fine line between reality and fantasy. When I was younger I used to be a Charlotte - a hopeless romantic who dreamed of marriage and the perfect life. Then I grew up and realized there is not PERFECT life. Through experience of both love and hearthache, I have realized you can love more than one person in a lifetime. The thing that counts is timing. If the timing is off, things will not work no matter how perfect you are for one another.
At this point in time, I feel I have my own "Mr. Big". This guy has appeared to be everything that I have wanted and needed thus far. Timing has been completely off for both of us. I tried to be mad but I cannot help but notice its not his fault - nor is it mine. Deep down, he is a great person - funny, caring, fun to be around. I am not going to lie - tears have fallen and my ego has been hurt because of him. As much as I want to take the easy way out and blame him I know the blame does not lie soley with him. Much of it has to do with poor timing of our meeting. This is a busy, important time for both of us. We both want to be successful in our own way and reach certain goals. Although my goals are not the same as his, I understand where he is coming from.
Although its possible for me to be completely wrong, I truly believe he likes me. When we spend time together, we are always having fun and smiling. I never want it to end. He always seems to be interested in me and my future. He asks me questions as if he is curious and wants to continue getting to know me in the future.
When we are together it is great. When we are apart, I find myself missing his company. He does things to annoy me like forget to call when he said he would or fail to make plans with me when we had talked about possibilities. Some people would say he's just not that into me. I think it could go either way. I have pushed people away because I was scared of getting hurt or afraid I would hurt someone. Maybe that is what he is doing - maybe its not. It would make sense to me, though, that this just is not the right time for him and I. Maybe it never will be a great time. Maybe we are perfect for each other. Maybe we are not. Who knows?! I do not think I am willing to cut all ties completely, though.
I am painfully aware of the heartache hopefullness brings. However, no one ever knows what the future will bring. Being completely pessimistic just brings you down further. Although I will keep my heart open to possibilities, I will also not hold my breath for anyone. Whether it is him or not, I will eventually know when I have found the one and the timing will be perfect.
Everything happens for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment