Quote of the Day

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Inner strength & tank tops

A broken heart has its way of teaching the greatest of life lessons. Having surviving the pain a couple times myself, I have learned quite a bit about myself and people in general. At first, the pain overwhelms you and it is near impossible to pick up on any bit of good that comes. Sometimes the pain fades, going in and out a few times before it almost completely disappears.

I do not believe a heart truly heals after it is broken, but instead there is a tiny scar left behind that gives your heart character. I learned in a class that once a fracture in a bone heals, the bone is stronger in the place it had previously broken. I'd like to believe thats true for the heart, too. As hard as it is to get past a long love or a betrayal, the heart has a special strength that allows it to mend itself and become stronger than it ever has been. Its true what they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Now being a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, I have unfortunately broken my heart more than I would like to admit. I will not blame a broken heart on anyone else because only I have the power to put my heart in someone's hands. It is my choice if allow that person to squeeze and pound and kick my heart. People will treat you how they want to treat you, but it your decision to let that pain destroy the person that you are.

I am fortunate enough to realize that I am the only one who can destroy my self-esteem, belittle my self-worth. I have known those who let a broken heart completely obliterate their truly wonderful self and become an entirely different person. I however, refuse to let ANYONE change who I am. I am who I am - thats all I can be. Only I can change myself - and if I do, it will be for the better. I guess, in a way, I have chosen to wear tank tops in times of distress. You can't wear your heart on your sleeve if you don't have any, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment