Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Everyday the news reports disturbing events. Everyday young lives are cut short. Around the world, there are so many terrible things to witness. And yet, sometimes it is the things that we cannot see that scare us the most. Why is the unknown so frightening?
When I was young, I fell in love. At first, the scariest thing to do was go on a date with a boy that I liked. Then, it became very difficult to say those three little words for the first time. The ultimate fear, however, was what to do after that love ended. For three years my life was comfortable and certain. One day, it wasn't and I did not know what to do about it.
Afterward, my heart has been afraid to open up completely. Partly due to the pain I felt when he broke my heart. Partly because it means experiencing every first again with a new person. It was not until I was on a walk with my mom when I happened upon a ring. For some reason, I was drawn to pick it up. Inscribed on this ring was the word "faith". It was almost as if someone was telling me to have faith.
Now, I have never been a super religious person, but this ring gave me hope. I wore it for a long time and every time I looked at it I knew everything was going to be okay. After awhile, the ring went missing. At first I was upset, but then I realized it must have been time for someone else to find faith.
Ever since that ring, the word faith has been a favorite of mine. It reminds me of a time when I thought my world was over. And it makes me remember that I survived the worst pain I had felt up to that point.
Sometimes you cannot see what is ahead. Sometimes you have no idea where your life will lead. Sometimes the future seems so uncertain. If you can find the strength or the courage to proceed with that first step, you will see that is all that you really need. Faith and hope will lead the way.
These days, I look back on my first love and I am glad that I went through all I did. After all, its the hardships in life that truly make us learn. I learned how to love and know that if a love flame flickers out, it does not mean the world loses all light. It just gives room for another candle to burn.
No comments:
Post a Comment