If there are truly good and bad decisions, how does one tell the difference? Every choice someone makes seems right in the moment. The consequences to follow may be good or bad... or sometimes in the middle somewhere. Do bad decisions exist or is it the way we react to the consequences determine the good/bad of the choice?
Maybe it is the importance of the decision that truly matters. We all make decisions all day, everyday. We decide whether to get out of bed or hit the snooze... what to eat... what to wear. These choices are not specifically important to our live -unless of course you are a teen worried about what your peers will think. But then again, it is really a choice whether you bother to care what others think or just let it pass right off your shoulder.
Other decisions are major - what to study in college... where to live... who to marry. It is a choice of this magnitude that can cause a ripple in the pond we call life. The Butterfly Effect...
How do you know if those ripples are good or bad? Do you look at how they effect others? Yourself? Both? There are so many things one decision can disturb...
Two years ago I moved to Florida in pursuit of success. I thought that I would find happiness in the sunshine, sand and climbing the corporate ladder. At first, this theory seemed to be correct. However, the longer and longer I stayed away from home the more I realized how wrong I was. They say happiness is where the heart it is... and my heart is with my family. My family needs me and I need them.
Recently I decided to move back to Indiana to be closer to my family... no job lined up & no place to live. Was that a bad choice? Should I have handled it differently? Maybe that doesn't matter anymore. Whats done is done. Do I have regrets with moving home to be closer to my family? No...but I do feel like they may be disappointed for not thinking things through a little more rationally. I followed my heart and not my brain on this one...
All I can do now is take one step at a time until I am back on top. Once decisions are made and things are set into motion, there is not much than can be done. It is now time to figure things out from here and do what I did two years ago.... make a plan, stick to it and succeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment