Quote of the Day

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Growing up

Stop and think back to as little as five years ago. Are you in the same place in life as you were then? Chances are at least one thing has changed in those few years. Its hard to see the process while its happening, but you really notice the progress you've made. Everyone has been asked "where do you see yourself in five years?". It is kind of amazing once you see how different your life is now and how different it is from what you imagined. Maybe for a few people, life is right on track - right where you thought it would be. But for most its not. Life throws us curve balls all the time. It keeps things interesting and sometimes tests us. Learning from those curve balls and bouncing back from any setbacks or obstacles is what builds character. Many people want to forget their past, and for some reasons it may be a good thing to block out some things. But the past is what shaped our present and will continue to shape our future. Instead of completely forgetting our history, we should accept it and move past it. After all, our past is what teaches us how to react to certain situations in the future. If you forget, you may repeat a mistake or be duped by the same person or in the same way once again. No one needs that. This is something I will choose to keep in mind in the future. Sure, there are things I would rather distance myself from and forget ever happened. But they did happen and they have... or at least they will... make me a stronger person for having gone through them.

1 comment:

  1. They always ask me in interviews where I want to be in five years...and the truth is, I don't know. I don't think they want honesty and so I have all kinds of made up answers ready. I really wish they just wouldn't ask the question.

    ReplyDelete