Quote of the Day

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tampa: Day 1.5 - First Crisis Averted

My first impression of the city of Tampa can be summed up in one word: confusing! I would like to think I am fairly good with directions and finding my way around. Trying to find my way from the airport to my new home (for the next three months anyways) was an entirely different story. I ended up passing the “fork in the road” I was supposed to follow and drove north on the Toll Road. I paid $1.75 to get lost!

I finally saw a road name that was familiar to me and thought I had it all figured out. That was until I wound up near the airport again and somehow drove to St. Petersburg. Grr! So I was north of Tampa, southwest of Tampa… but not in TAMPA! It got so bad my roommate and a girl from work had to come find me at the airport (3rd time I was there in one day!) so I could follow them home. Wow, I certainly felt like an idiot!

Once all the drama was over, I was able to see where I will be staying for the next three months. The place is nicer than I expected. It is a three bedroom condo less than 5 minutes from work and the water. One of the best things about it is it has a garage! I haven’t been able to pull my car into a garage in years. For now I have the garage to myself because my current roommate does not have a car down here.

The condo is pretty big for an apartment-type home. It has a screen patio, which makes it that much better! Plus, there are palm trees when you look out the windows! What could be better than that?! My room is nice and spacious. I have a walk in closet and my own half bathroom. Technically I have the shower to myself too because there is no one in the 3rd bedroom. I was supposed to have two roommates, but for some reason there was an abrupt change in plans. Lucky for me –I got his room. If I didn’t have this room I would be in the smallest room in the condo. It looks like a small dorm room – square and small. So I guess the other roommate leaving was a good deal for me.

Today I took a walk around the trail that runs along the water. It’s a great view! There are signs that warn boaters of manatees, so maybe I will see one sometime! There are bench swings and gazebos all along the trail, which might be a nice spot to just sit and watch the set. This apartment/condo complex is so big that I got a little turned around and it took me about an hour to walk around today. At least I got some cardio in today. Another awesome thing about this place is that it has 4 pools and a carwash port. I am thinking about using both of those tomorrow! I have two days off to relax before the internship officially starts.

My adventure of the day today was finding a Wal-mart. Thanks to my gps on my phone I found it, got some food and made it home in one piece. As you can see, I have also found a wifi hotspot. Living without the internet and cable is not that fun. Looks like I will be working out and reading a lot more often!

That’s all for now – make sure to check back as I blog about my time down here in Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment