Quote of the Day

Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts. ~Author Unknown

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Graduation brings a lot of uncertainty to a young adult. Some call it a "quarter-life crisis" - I just call it change. While in college, you have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. For most, it is NOT an easy choice. There are so many opportunities knocking at your door. Once you decide on a major and complete all the credits necessary to get your degree, it may seem like life should get easier. Newsflash: it only gets more difficult from here.

After graduation you have a new plethora of decisions to make that can effect your whole life. Will I go to graduate school? What career path is best for me? Am I willing to relocate? Should I start fresh somewhere else?

The first question was answered for me - To survive in Sport Management, you basically have to get at least a Masters Degree. There are candidates applying for internships with Masters Degrees - how am I to compete with that?! Graduate school is not for everyone. Luckily I was blessed with discipline and a desire to learn more about my career path. If finishing undergraduate was a task for you - graduate school probably is not the option for you. The good thing with graduate school is that it can wait until you are ready. You don't have to jump right into it right after graduation. Waiting at least a year before graduate school seems to eliminate burnout. If you take the 5-6 year plan (like I did!) you have had just about enough of school as you can take at the moment. Some people do not think they will go back if they take time off. If thats the case and you lack the motivation to get back on the horse after time off, I would advise you to go for it. Like I said, there are many, many, many options sprawled out in front of you. You just have to grab the bull by the horns and make the choice that will make YOU the happiest.

(... more to come...)

No comments:

Post a Comment