Relocation is always a stressful situation - whether it is good or bad stress depends on the reasoning behind it and what is to come in the future. For me, I have relocated 4 times since graduating high school (not including the 3 times I have switched homes in the same city). This past relocation was the biggest of them all: from Indianapolis, IN to Tampa, FL.
At first, Tampa was just a trial for me. My friend had taken an internship in Tampa and wanted me to test it out. After finding an internship that I thought I would absolutely love in Tampa, I decided to finally give it a try. Three months isn't that long. Or so I thought...
Apparently a lot can change in three months time - this I did not realize. I found myself going from loving to going through the motions. The job itself (minus the intern monotony) was fine, but I had to deal with drama that was completely unnecessarily, to say the least. At first my impression of Tampa was based solely on my place of internship. I began to resent my choice for moving to Tampa and wanted badly to escape back to the midwest. That was then, and this is now.
More recently I have discovered that people in Tampa are far better than I had originally believed. It was just the organizational atmosphere I was forced to deal with that was getting me down. I have met amazing friends, grown closer to my friend who was already down here and met a great guy on top of that. As I superstitiously knock on wood, life has never been better.
So, I decided to extend my stay in Tampa - give it an honest try. I just moved in with a roommate in an awesome apartment complex. I am enjoying the non-bitterly cold "winter" weather.
The only thing that is not going well is the job search. Since the ending of my internship, I have yet to find employment. This economy is not helping much at all. For now I will have to settle on a mediocre job and continue to volunteer and search for a career.
So if you are considering relocation, do not be afraid. If I can do it, you certainly can, too. All it takes is a little bravery and some patience. Good things come to those who wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment